Pages

Tuesday 12 December 2017

BurdaStyle 09/2016 - 118 Long Waistcoat & 110 Stretch Trousers

Two pieces from the 9/2016 Burda worn together!



I first made this long knit waistcoat as a gift for my sister and planned to make one for myself. (previously blogged here).  It only took me a year to get around to it!

09/2016 - 118 Long Waistcoat

I actually made the trousers at the beginning of the year, but they proved so impossible to photograph that they didn't justify their own blog post.  I do want to highlight the pattern though because it is a good one.  Designed for stretch fabrics and with front and back seams, a back yoke and a centre back seam in the waistband, you can really easily tweak these and get a great fit.

Mine are in a black ponte and I left off the ankle zips.



Back to the waistcoat....the version I originally made for my sister was in a knit boucle, a much better fabric choice than this one in a very soft sweater knit which stretched like crazy!  I had put the pockets in, but they ended up somewhere near my knees and were quite bulky so I removed them.  I also had to trim the collar down considerably and you can see that the hem is wavy also.  I might fold it up again and see if that helps.

This really should have been a quick and easy project, but ended up being incredibly frustrating to make.  It is great for our current in between weather though so I am trying to forget all the annoyances!
















12 comments:

  1. It's such a cute outfit!! Those pants look great. I love all pants with a seam down the back leg! :)

    Ohhh those lightweight sweater knits. Whew. You tamed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wavy hem, it looks like an upside down tulip! What a great piece, I would imagine it's very versatile. Hmmmm, I wonder if I have anything appropriate in my stash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. great outfit and I have been looking for a pattern like the vest so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this very much and have been looking for a similar but shorter knitting pattern to wear over tunics and dresses with boots. There was a review on Burda's website that said it was an awful pattern but without saying why?
    Is it designed for stretch fabrics or woven? I can't find that on their site.
    Maybe you had trouble because of that? I'm buying the pattern and am going to try it out of a non stretch or at least a stable knit to see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin, I just checked the fabric requirements and you are right! Recommended fabrics are "wools or blends, boucle" which says woven to me. That explains why the first version in a stable knit boucle was so much easier than this stretchy knit one!
      I also found 11/2012 - 137 designed for fine knits that I might try another time.

      Delete
  5. Hi Allison,
    sorry but I have to agree to the ladies - the outfit looks so so nice! The vest is so nice, nicer without the belt I would say. I‘d have never spend a view on it but with your version I‘m already searching my stash for an adequate fabric.
    Thanks and greetings
    Kerstin (http://enkeda.de)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I think I prefer it without the belt also, unusually for me. Make sure you don't pick a stretchy knit from your stash!!

      Delete
  6. It looks stunning on and so versatile - well done as always

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great additions to your winter wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the trousers! The pattern lines are geat. And the vest looks cozy. It's a great outfi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even with all the frustrations this is a great vest and it looks fantastic with your new pants.

    ReplyDelete